Monday, December 18, 2006

Bendable, Posable, Cheap and Funny

These guys are the cheapest of bendable posable figures. Probably bought them at some place like Oriental Trading for a few dollars a dozen. As labor costs soar even in the third world, cheap rubber toys with wires inside (for the bendable possibilities) have less and less detail. Some of my Santas have painted faces and boots...these have copped out with just the black belt and the white eyebrows, beard and fur. Nevertheless, even they amuse me. I grouped all these really cheap ones on a bookshelf which is newly bare due to downsizing.

Yes, I collect these figures. I have a lot of Christmas ones. I don't have the bears or candy canes offered on Oriental Trading this year. I'm trying to quit collecting. Really. But even in my downsizing frenzy, I haven't been able to face giving up this collection. Although they do pack away easily (they aren't very fragile and you just cram them in a box) I have about eight or ten cubic feet of bendable figures! Really. Still. This collection and my globe collection I think I'll keep. But I've got to keep these collections from growing. Put that down for one of my New Year's Resolutions. I am incredibly lame. The world is a mess and I'm worried about a collection of rubber things with wires inside. But it could be worse. I could collect expensive Christmas decor like elaborate nutcrackers or put out a light display that sucked thousands of dollars worth of electricity.

I think my decorations are humorous. In a way, they make me happy. So...why don't I feel festive?

No comments: